Integrated Movement Therapy
At Los Angeles Sports Performance Care we call our unique blend of therapies and underlying treatment philosophies Integrated Movement Therapy. It is coordinated in three senses:
- We believe that graceful, energy-efficient, strain-free physical movement, whether in athletics or every day activities, involves the intricate coordination of numerous muscles and joints and that imbalance anywhere in the complex human organism can disrupt fluid movement and lead to painful injuries;
- We also believe that to channel graceful physical movement toward the achievement of athletic and life goals requires a coordination of body, mind and spirit;
- And, lastly, we believe that to treat imbalance and restore graceful movement a coordinated blend of customized, individually targeted therapies usually works better than any single approach.
In short, at LASPC a nail is (frequently) not just a nail. Too often in healthcare the treatment a patient receives is dependent on the specialist he or she first sees. This invites a “to a hammer everything is a nail” kind of approach which places the treatment before the patient.
We at LASPC reject this approach. That is why we developed IMT, a very different approach that first assesses each patient as a unique individual, then orchestrates a blend of treatments to fit each patient’s unique situation and temperament—in mind, body and spirit.
We also know that, occasionally, our treatment approach is not appropriate or complete in itself—that, sometimes, a nail is really a nail. In such cases we are not at all hesitant to refer patients to other medical specialties—in other words, to the best hammers we know. When this happens, we are prepared to act as your care coordinator or advocate, should you desire.
Z Health® is a system of training that considers Neuro-Science and Human Movement.
- The human body responds to external and internal influences via our Neural Postural Control System (NPCS).
- The NPCS deals with threat and pain under the influence of a neural hierarachy: Vision, then Vestibular (inner-ear balance), then Proprioception (joint awareness in space)
- If any of these three influences are threatened, it will likely affect the other two, leading to dysfunctional and inefficient movement patterns, tissue damage, and pain.
- Pain is merely a neural signal that there is a problem in movement efficiency.
Corrective Stretching Techniques
Corrective Exercise Techniques
Bio-Neural / Mechanical Assessment
Active Release Therapy® (ART)
Active Release Therapy® (ART) is a patented, state-of-the-art soft tissue, movement-based massage technique that treats problems with muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves. Among the more than four dozen problems that can be resolved quickly and permanently through an expert application of ART are: back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, shin splints, shoulder pain, sciatica, plantar fasciitis, knee problems, and tennis elbow. These conditions all have one important thing in common: they are often a result of damaged muscles from:
- Soft tissue trauma (pulls, tears, collisions, etc);
- Accumulation of small tears (micro-trauma);
- Oxygen deficiency (hypoxia).
Each of these factors can cause the body to produce tough, dense scar tissue in the affected area. This scar tissue binds up and ties down tissues that need to move freely. As scar tissue builds up, muscles become shorter and weaker, tension on tendons can lead to tendonitis, and nerves can become entrapped. The net result is reduced range of motion, loss of strength, and pain.
At LA Sports Performance Care, every ART session is a combination of examination and treatment. We use our experienced hands to evaluate the texture, tightness and movement of muscles, fascia, tendons, ligaments and nerves. We then treat abnormal tissues with a combination of precisely directed tension and specifically targeted patient movements, of which there are more than 500 in the ART treatment protocol.
Dr. Steven Gautreau is a master practitioner and instructor in ART. In addition to his practice, he has been contracted by several large corporations to provide on sight ART therapy to their employees. Through this arrangement he has helped significantly reduce worker compensation costs at these companies.